Monday, August 23, 2010

Thin

Everywhere I turn I'm bombarded with
"Eat this!" "Drink That!" "Be Beautiful!"
All at the aim to be thin.
I shudder when I hear him say
"Stop eating, that's how you loose weight"
Why can't I just be me?
Do I have to be a paper cut out of every girl in Cosmo to be beautiful?
Apparently.
"Wear you're hair this way,
You'll get a guy then"
"Once you loose 40 lbs,
THEN that guy will call"
Only once you conform to societies idea of beauty
will you have a date on Friday night.
I don't need you to tell me I'm not good enough,
I tell myself that every day
Every hour
Every second.
I look in the mirror and see a strong independent woman
screaming to get out
But she gets pushed aside by all those voices telling her to stay inside
and be quiet.
Someday I'll find a guy
who loves me for me.
And it won't be because I wear my hair a certain way
or lost 50 lbs.
No, It's going to be because that girl in the mirror finally fought the urge
to be thin.
-Shelby

6 comments:

  1. What I would give to have your hair! You have such lovely skin on your face, no wrinkles!!! And your always tan! our not alone. Most women feel that pressure. You just said it out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Shelby! I love you just the way you are! that coming from me may not mean a lot to you, but you are beautiful! I love that you don't have to wear a lot of make up, or even foundation if you don't want to. you have amazing skin! And once people stop listening to the media, magazines, and people who don't know what they're talking about, you'll feel much better about yourself! Jeff, Alex Clark and I JUST had a conversation similar to this. Everyone has their own struggles with weight, whether it's being too thin, or not being fit...or anything else. You just need to do what you can to be healthy, and you will feel great about yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Shelby, I think you are pretty GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelby, I love you. And this. You are inspirational my dear! :)

    P.s. I agree with Natalia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh shelby,

    you ARE beautiful. never let some one tell you other wise. what do they really know anyways?

    you are an awesome sister to me. i am here for you. better believe it!!

    Jacob~

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are beautiful! The media's perception of what beautiful should be is distorted. I like the part where you wrote that you will find a guy who loves you for you. You will find him & he will be a lucky man. :]

    ReplyDelete